- In your view, during Hellenistic times did sculpture retrogress or progress from Greek
- Read Plutarch's life of Alexander and assess the validity of the notion that "history is the
lengthened shadow of a great man."
- Explain the importance of the Hellenistic Age as a period in world history. What were this
age's major contributions to world history?
- Compare the science, literature, and art of the Hellenistic Age with those of the Hellenic
Greeks. How do you account for the differences?
- Compare the philosophy and religion of the Hellenistic Age with those of the Hellenic Greeks.
How do you account for the differences?
- Compare the estimate of Alexander in Wicken, Alexander the Great with that in Burn,
Alexander the Great and the Hellenistic World.
- Investigate further any of the following aspects of Hellenistic civilization:
--cities and city life
--medical science and practice
--the spread of Mithraism and other mystery cults
- Analyze the Hellenistic Age as an "intermediary" between Greece and Rome.