- Why was the Second World War followed so quickly by a "Cold War"? Why did the Cold
War continue for so long?
- What factors help account for Stalin's anti-Western policy? What was the basis of his hostility
toward and suspicion of the United States?
- Which of the eastern European countries achieved the greatest degree of independence from
Moscow during the Cold War era?
- How was rivalry between the superpowers illustrated by, and affected by, the organization of
NATO? The division of Germany?
- What was the nature of the "thaw" under Khrushchev, and what were its limitations?
- What did the events of 1956 in Poland and Hungary demonstrate about the limits of Soviet
tolerance toward satellite states?
- What reforms became known as the "Prague Spring"?
- How did relations between the two Germanys change under the administration of the West
German chancellor Willy Brandt?
- What brought on the "Solidarity" movement in Poland in the 1980s?
- What accounts for the rapid economic recovery of western Europe following World War II?
- Why was economic growth more phenomenal in defeated West Germany than in France or
Britain? Why was British growth particularly sluggish?
- In what ways did economic growth lead to an expansion of social services in western
- Describe the origin and purpose of the European Economic Community. Compare this with
efforts at eastern European economic integration.
- What changes could be observed in Socialist and other parties of the Left in the postwar
- What policies did Charles de Gaulle pursue as the leader of France? How did his leadership
affect France's relations with its neighbors and beyond?
- How did the Canada Act change Canada's relations with Britain? How did it change
Canada's internal administration?
- Describe ways in which Canada and the United States found their interests increasingly
connected in the postwar era.
- Explain the basis of Qu‚bec's claim that it is a "distinct society" within Canada. How have
the federal and other provincial governments dealt with Qu‚bec's assertion of distinct rights?
- How and why did Australia's trade and diplomatic relations change after World War II?
- Outline changes in population in postwar Europe. What were the causes of population shifts?
What other changes did population changes produce?
- What is a "managerial class"? How did this group differ from previous participants in
- How did class consciousness and class relations change following World War II in the
advanced economies of the West?
- Describe some of the ways in which the dilemmas and difficulties of the human condition
found voice in postwar American and European literature, film, and other arts.
- Why did Marxism appeal to a considerable number of European intellectuals?
- How did the views on technology of Jean Baudrillard and Jean-François Lyotard differ?
Which view is closest to your own?
- What is meant by "abstract expressionism" in art? What do its practitioners attempt to