- Investigate any of the following:
a. The Spanish Civil War and the coming of the Second World War.
b. The genesis of the Munich Agreement of 1938.
c. The Battle of Britain.
d. The American defeat at Pearl Harbor.
e. D-Day: June 6, 1944.
f. The work of any of the specialized agencies of the U.N.: UNESCO, WHO, or FAO.
- Summarize the attempts to maintain peace between the two world wars. Suggest reasons why
these attempts met with such limited success.
- Attack or defend the proposition that the Great Depression was more responsible than the
Versailles Treaty for the breakdown of world peace.
- Write an essay on how you think the Second World War might have been avoided.
- Compare the Charter of the United Nations with the Covenant of the League of Nations. In
what ways, if any, is the U.N. an improvement over the League?
- Study the arguments for and against the dropping of the atomic bomb on Japan. Try to
determine the reasons for the decision to use the bomb.