- "Did the standard of living rise or fall in Europe during the first half-century of the Industrial
Revolution?" Prepare a brief to support your argument in this ongoing debate.
- Read a novel of Charles Dickens (Oliver Twist, Dombey and Son, or David Copperfield) and
compare his description of lower-class conditions with available historical records.
- Investigate some aspect of English mid-Victorian middle-class society, such as the status of
women, sex mores, education of children, recreation, or relations with and attitude toward the
- Study John Stuart Mill's thought in relation to the ideas of the utilitarians, the classical
economists, and the socialists.
- Read Mill's essay On Liberty to determine to what extent it vindicated and to what extent it
challenged the prevailing middle-class creed.
- Investigate any of the following:
a. Auguste Comte's positivism
b. Charles Fourier's scheme of society
c. Robert Owen's experiments with utopian communities
d. the career of Louis Blanc