- How did the Mughal Dynasty of India get its name? Was the title appropriate? Why or why
- What significant changes in governmental policy were introduced by Akbar? To what extent
were they beneficial?
- What measures did Akbar take to win the allegiance of his Hindu subjects?
- Describe Akbar's unique religious establishment. How successful was it?
- In spite of impressive achievements, how did the long reign of Aurangzeb weaken the Mughal
- How were the Sikhs and the Marathas, respectively, a threat to Mughal power in the
seventeenth and eighteenth centuries?
- Cite specific examples to show that Indian culture of the Mughal period was eclectic and
- What date would you assign to the final ascendancy of the British over the French in India?
- What policies did the Qing emperors adopt to confirm their legitimacy as rulers of China? In
what ways did the Chinese and Manchus remain separate?
- What was at issue in the "War of the Three Feudatories"? What were its results?
- Examine tax policies under Kangxi. What were the purposes behind his policies? What were
the strengths and weaknesses of his taxation policies?
- What problems were created by China's swelling population during the Qing period? How
did the government deal with these problems?
- In what respects did the position of women deteriorate during the Qing period? Are there
any ways in which it improved?
- What did the following Jesuits contribute to China: Matteo Ricci, Ferdinand Verbiest,
- What was the Jesuit approach to missionary work in China? What were its advantages and
disadvantages? How did it lead them into conflict with other Catholic orders?
- How did the "School of Han Learning" contribute to Chinese philosophy and learning? What
was the contribution of Gu Yanwu?
- What new problems were posed for the governments of both China and Japan by the coming
of European traders to their ports? How did the two governments differ in their attempts to
handle these problems?
- Explain the key features of the government of Japan under the Tokugawa Shoguns. How
effective was this government?
- What specific measures did the Tokugawa Shoguns take to control the daimyo?
- What important economic changes took place in Japan during the Tokugawa period? How
did these changes threaten the survival of the Shogunate?
- What intellectual and religious trends were at work in Japan that could also undermine the
- Describe the Japanese social hierarchy in theory and in practice. Why did theory and practice
- Describe the importance of sugar in the African economy during this period. What was the
role of sugar in the development of the Atlantic slave trade?
- What were the effects of the slave trade on African societies? Give specific examples.
- When did the shipment of slaves from Africa directly to the Americas begin, and why?
- What were the Portuguese goals in Africa? How successful were they in attaining these
- Compare the forms of government in the Oyo and Dahomean empires. In what ways were
they similar? In what ways did they differ from one another?
- What was the purpose of claims of divinity by African monarchs? How did this divinity
- How did the nature of European involvement in Africa change after the opening of the
- How do you explain the flourishing of Asante civilization during the first half of the
- "History took another, more tragic, course in the extreme southwest corner of Africa."
Explain this statement.