- If the instability of political life in Italy contributed to the ending of the Renaissance there after
1550, why did the political instability of the preceding 250 years not prevent a Renaissance in the
- Investigate the causes of the waning of the Italian Renaissance.
- Investigate further any of the following:
a) the Florence of the Medicis
b) Petrarch's sonnets
c) Leonardo da Vinci's inventions
d) Galileo's discoveries
e) the Renaissance papacy
- Read Machiavelli's The Prince. Which of its principles do you see in practice today? Are
there any of its principles you would like to see implemented?
- Was the Renaissance more medieval than modern? Support your answer with evidence.
- Compare Florentine and Venetian painting.
- Read in one of the literary masterpieces of the Renaissance, such as Praise of Folly, The
Færie Queen, or Orlando Furioso.
- Read Castiglione's The Book of the Courtier. Critique his view of the respective roles of men
- Read More's Utopia. What aspects of humanism does it illustrate? What aspects of More's
vision have been attempted since his time?
- Explore further the sources, meaning, and contributions of Neoplatonism.