- Read any two of the synoptic Gospels (Matthew, Mark, or Luke) and compare the accounts of
the life of Jesus. (Then, if you like, compare the approach of the synoptics with that of John.)
- Read some of the major epistles of St. Paul in the New Testament and consider what they
reveal about the nature of early Christianity.
- Investigate in further detail any of the following:
a. Early monasticism
b. The Arian controversy
c. The rise of papal supremacy in the Western Church
- Compare and contrast the teachings of Jesus with those of the Hebrew prophets.
- Compare the teachings of the Apostle Paul and St. Augustine. What teachings of St.
Augustine have been carried over into modern Christianity?
- Examine the relationship between early Christianity and competing salvationist cults such as
Mithraism and Gnosticism.