The Revelation of St. John the
Book of Revelation, the final book of the
New Testament, is the most important single
source of the ideas of millennium, the Last
Judgment, the marriage of Christ and the
new Jerusalem, and the resulting "new
heaven and . . . new earth." The
passages below, chapters 14 and 20–22
(the last three of the book), point up the
fierce destruction and punishment attending
And I looked, and, lo, a Lamb stood on the
mount Sion, and with him an hundred forty
and four thousand, having his Father's
name written in their foreheads.
2. And I heard a voice from heaven, as the
voice of many waters, and as the voice of a great thunder: and I heard the voice
of harpers harping with their harps:
3. And they sung as it were a new song before
the throne, and before the four beasts, and the elders: and no man could learn
that song but the hundred and forty and four thousand, which were redeemed from
4. These are they which were not defiled with
women; for they are virgins. These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever
he goeth. These were redeemed from among men, being the first-fruits unto God
and to the Lamb.
5. And in their mouth was found no guile:
for they are without fault before the throne of God.
6. And I saw another angel fly in the midst
of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the
earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people,
7. Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and
give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that
made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.
8. And there followed another angel, saying,
Babylon is fallen, is fallen, that great city, because she made all nations drink
of the wine of the wrath of her fornication.
9. And the third angel followed them, saying
with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his
mark in his forehead, or in his hand,
10. The same shall drink of the wine of the
wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation;
and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of holy angels,
and in the presence of the Lamb:
11. And the smoke of their torment ascendeth
up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast
and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.
12. Here is the patience of the saints: here
are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.
13. And I heard a voice from heaven saying
unto me, Write, Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea,
saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; and their works do follow
14. And I looked, and behold a white cloud,
and upon the cloud one sat like unto the Son of man, having on his head a golden
crown, and in his hand a sharp sickle.
15. And another angel came out of the temple,
crying with a loud voice to him that sat on the cloud, Thrust in thy sickle,
and reap: for the time is come for thee to reap; for the harvest of the earth
16. And he that sat on the cloud thrust in
his sickle on the earth; and the earth was reaped.
17. And another angel came out of the temple
which is in heaven, he also having a sharp sickle.
18. And another angel came out from the altar,
which had power over fire; and cried with a loud cry to him that had the sharp
sickle, saying, Thrust in thy sharp sickle, and gather the clusters of the vine
of the earth; for her grapes are fully ripe.
19. And the angel thrust in his sickle into
the earth, and gathered the vine of the earth, and cast it into the great winepress
of the wrath of God.
20. And the winepress was trodden without
the city, and blood came out of the winepress, even unto the horse bridles, by
the space of a thousand and six hundred furlongs.
And I saw an angel come down from heaven,
having the key of the bottomless pit and
a great chain in his hand.
2. And he laid hold on the dragon, that old
serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,
3. And cast him into the bottomless pit, and
shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more,
till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed
a little season.
4. And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them,
and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded
for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped
the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads,
or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
5. But the rest of the dead lived not again
until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.
6. Blessed and holy is he that hath part in
the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall
be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.
7. And when the thousand years are expired,
Satan shall be loosed out of his prison,
8. And shall go out to deceive the nations
which are in the four quarters of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together
to battle: the number of whom is as the sand of the sea.
9. And they went up on the breadth of the
earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and
fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them.
10. And the devil that deceived them was cast
into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are,
and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.
11. And I saw a great white throne, and him
that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there
was found no place for them.
12. And I saw the dead, small and great, stand
before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is
the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written
in the books, according to their works.
13. And the sea gave up the dead which were
in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they
were judged every man according to their works.
14. And death and hell were cast into the
lake of fire. This is the second death.
15. And whosoever was not found written in
the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
And I saw a new heaven and a new earth:
for the first heaven and the first earth
were passed away; and there was no more sea.
2. And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem,
coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
3. And I heard a great voice out of heaven
saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them,
and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their
4. And God shall wipe away all tears from
their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither
shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
5. And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold,
I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and
6. And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha
and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of
the fountain of the water of life freely.
7. He that overcometh shall inherit all things;
and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.
8. But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the
abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and
all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone:
which is the second death.
9. And there came unto me one of the seven
angels which had the seven vials full of the seven last plagues, and talked with
me, saying, Come hither, I will shew thee the bride, the Lamb's wife.
10. And he carried me away in the spirit to
a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem,
descending out of heaven from God,
11. Having the glory of God: and her light
was like unto a stone most precious, even like a jasper stone, clear as crystal;
12. And had a wall great and high, and had
twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels, and names written thereon, which
are the names of the twelve tribes of the children of Israel:
13. On the east three gates; on the north
three gates; on the south three gates; and on the west three gates.
14. And the wall of the city had twelve foundations,
and in them the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.
15. And he that talked with me had a golden
reed to measure the city, and the gates thereof, and the wall thereof.
16. And the city lieth foursquare, and the
length is as large as the breadth: and he measured the city with the reed, twelve
thousand furlongs. The length and the breadth and the height of it are equal.
17. And he measured the wall thereof, an hundred
and forty and four cubits, according to the measure of a man, that is, of the
18. And the building of the wall of it was
of jasper: and the city was pure gold, like unto clear glass.
19. And the foundations of the wall of the
city were garnished with all manner of precious stones. The first foundation
was jasper; the second, sapphire; the third, a chalcedony; the fourth, an emerald;
20. The fifth, sardonyx; the sixth, sardius;
the seventh, chrysolyte; the eighth, beryl; the ninth, a topaz; the tenth, a
chrysosprasus; the eleventh, a jacinth; the twelfth, an amethyst.
21. And the twelve gates were twelve pearls:
every several gate was of one pearl: and the street of the city was pure gold,
as it were transparent glass.
22. And I saw no temple therein: for the Lord
God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it.
23. And the city had no need of the sun, neither
of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb
is the light thereof.
24. And the nations of them which are saved
shall walk in the light of it: and the kings of the earth do bring their glory
and honour into it.
25. And the gates of it shall not be shut
at all by day: for there shall be no night there.
26. And they shall bring the glory and honour
of the nations into it.
27. And there shall in no wise enter into
it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh
a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life.
And he shewed me a pure river of water of
life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of
the throne of God and of the Lamb.
2. In the midst of the street of it, and on
either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner
of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were
for the healing of the nations.
3. And there shall be no more curse: but the
throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it; and his servants shall serve him:
4. And they shall see his face; and his name
shall be in their foreheads.
5. And there shall be no night there; and
they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light:
and they shall reign for ever and ever.
6. And he said unto me, These sayings are
faithful and true: and the Lord God of the holy prophets sent his angel to shew
unto his servants the things which must shortly be done.
7. Behold, I come quickly: blessed is he that
keepeth the sayings of the prophecy of this book.
8. And I John saw these things, and heard
them. And when I had heard and seen, I fell down to worship before the feet of
the angel which shewed me these things.
9. Then saith he unto me, See thou do it not:
for I am thy fellow-servant, and of thy brethren the prophets, and of them which
keep the sayings of this book: worship God.
10. And he saith unto me, Seal not the sayings
of the prophecy of this book: for the time is at hand.
11. He that is unjust, let him be unjust still:
and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let
him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.
12. And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward
is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.
13. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and
the end, the first and the last.
14. Blessed are they that do his commandments,
that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates
into the city.
15. For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and
whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a
16. I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify
unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David,
and the bright and morning star.
17. And the Spirit and the bride say, Come.
And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever
will, let him take the water of life freely.
18. For I testify unto every man that heareth
the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things,
God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
19. And if any man shall take away from the
words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book
of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this
20. He which testifieth these things saith,
Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.
21. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be
with you all. Amen.