Patrick O'Brian Discussion Forum

A New Years Message

Max
Sun Dec 31

A friend of mine, Felix Lopez, sent me this. I was so taken by it I wanted to share it.

Happy New Year.

I hope it's a year full of integrity and courage on all our parts. I hope we can resist the temptation to be reactively indignant at all the unfairness and injustice in the world. I hope we can resist cynicism, which corrodes the heart. I hope we can forgive ourselves for not knowing better or being better. We can only try or keep trying. I hope--as Faulkner said of writers--that we can help one another to lift he heart and endure. It's not only what writers do, it's what friends do.

With much affection,

Felix

Re: A New Years Message

A-Polly
Tue Jan 2

Thank you for sharing this, Max.  I've got it almost memorized, from reading it over so many times.  

Happy 2018 to all.

On Sun Dec 31, Max wrote
------------------------
>A friend of mine, Felix Lopez, sent me this. I was so taken by it I wanted to share it.
>
>
>Happy New Year.

>I hope it's a year full of integrity and courage on all our parts. I hope we can resist the temptation to be reactively indignant at all the unfairness and injustice in the world. I hope we can resist cynicism, which corrodes the heart. I hope we can forgive ourselves for not knowing better or being better. We can only try or keep trying. I hope--as Faulkner said of writers--that we can help one another to lift he heart and endure. It's not only what writers do, it's what friends do.

>With much affection,

>Felix

[ Previous ] [ Return to the index page ] [ Next ]