Patrick O'Brian Discussion Forum

Why Houston has a problem

Chrístõ
chris@cjsquire.plus.com
Mon Aug 28

(Monday 6 pm BST):  . . Scientific American just posted an interview with Jeff Masters, co-founder of Weather Underground, who explains Harvey’s extraordinary destructive potency.

On Wednesday it was a tropical storm. By Friday it had been supercharged from a Category 1 hurricane to Category 4. That’s because Harvey passed over an . . extremely warm eddy, 1 to 2 degrees F warmer than the surrounding Gulf of Mexico . . [it] has become wedged between two areas of high-pressure, one system over the SE U.S, the other over the SW U.S. . .

Harvey is still producing so much rain despite being mostly over land [because] it has dropped so much water over such a large area of SE Texas that the storm is pulling that water back up into itself and dumping it again as more rain . . [The] flooding in Houston is so severe [because] water swollen rivers heading to the sea is meeting a storm surge coming inland. In Galveston the sea surge was about 3’ but the actual water surge was about 9’ . .

A low-pressure trough system has been forming north of Harvey and could begin to pull it northward by the end of the week.

[www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2017/aug/28/ex-hurricane-harvey-houston-flooded-as-catastrophe-unfolds-in-texas-latest-updates] 1740 BST

Irma is coming . .

Chrístõ
chris@cjsquire.plus.com
Sun Sep 3

. . but to whom?

5 Charts Showing Where Hurricane Irma Might Land: www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-09-02/here-are-5-charts-showing-where-hurricane-irma-might-land

[ This message was edited on Sun Sep 3 by the author ]

Irma, Jose and Katie . .

Chrístõ
chris@cjsquire.plus.com
Fri Sep 8

. .  make an attractive display on the EarthWindMap: tinyurl.com/ychyhdjx

Click on the image to move inwards. The display gives the estimated wind speed at the cursor.

‘A visualization of global weather conditions forecast by supercomputers, updated every three hours  . . atmospheric pressure corresponds roughly to altitude . .several pressure layers are meteorologically interesting . . they show data assuming the earth is completely smooth.’

Note: 1 hectopascal (hPa) = 1 millibar (mb) . .1000 hPa ~100 m, near sea level conditions.

[ This message was edited on Fri Sep 8 by the author ]

Re: Irma, Jose and Katie . .

A-Polly
Fri Sep 8

Oh wow, it's quite lovely!  I've been using the Ventusky site, which is nice because you can click to choose weather features such as wind speed, precipitation, temperature, and so on.  Viewing the wind speed and wave height maps at the world scale puts me in awe of sailors in any era venturing into the Roaring Forties!
www.ventusky.com/

However, the Ventusky map is flat, and I really like the way the EarthWindMap is shown on a globe.  Both sites are mesmerizing!

Thanks for the link, Chrístõ.  I'm in Florida (northern part), and we're all watching the approaching hurricane.

On Fri Sep 8, Chrístõ wrote
---------------------------
>. .  make an attractive display on the EarthWindMap: tinyurl.com/ychyhdjx

>Click on the image to move inwards. The display gives the estimated wind speed at the cursor.

>‘A visualization of global weather conditions forecast by supercomputers, updated every three hours  . . atmospheric pressure corresponds roughly to altitude . .several pressure layers are meteorologically interesting . . they show data assuming the earth is completely smooth.’

>Note: 1 hectopascal (hPa) = 1 millibar (mb) . .1000 hPa ~100 m, near sea level conditions.

>

Earth = control panel

Chrístõ
chris@cjsquire.plus.com
Fri Sep 8

On Fri Sep 8, A-Polly wrote
>Thanks for the link, Chrístõ.  I'm in Florida (northern part), and we're all watching the approaching hurricane.

Happy to be of service, ma’am . . Good luck with yr close encounter with Irma. Don’t let the wind blow up yr petticoats - you know how a flash of ankle inflames us poor mariners!

You can access a control panel to change the display via ’earth’ which opens and closes it. It is not as obvious as it needs to be.

What a hurricane sounds like

Chrístõ
chris@cjsquire.plus.com
Sat Sep 9

On Fri Sep 8, A-Polly wrote
 I'm in Florida (northern part), and we're all watching the approaching hurricane.
……….

Live footage as Hurricane Irma destroys Maho Beach Cam in St Maarten 9/6/2017:
www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=dA5qYrboTUE

Hat-tip: twistedsifter.com/videos/hurricane-irma-destroys-maho-beach-st-maarten/

[ Previous ] [ Return to the index page ] [ Next ]