Patrick O'Brian Discussion Forum

'What is the name of the schooner taken by Roald Amundsen to the Antarctic ? . . '

Chrístő
chris@cjsquire.plus.com
Thu Aug 10

. . today’s queston.

Visit: www.oxfordreference.com/viewbydoi/10%2E1093/acref/9780199205684%2E013%2E1036 to find the answer.

[ This message was edited on Thu Aug 10 by the author ]

Fram, of course!

The Last of the True French Short Bastards
ewadams@designersnotebook.com
Thu Aug 10

It means "forward" in Norwegian. She originally belonged to Nansen. A brilliantly-designed ship for Arctic exploration, she can't be crushed by the ice because her bottom is rounded so the ice will simply push her up. You can take a tour in Oslo.

Re: Fram, of course!

Max
Sat Aug 12

By odd coincidence I am reading The Mission Song and Fram just came up appropo of nothing.
What are the odds?

n Thu Aug 10, The Last of the True French Short Bastards wrote
---------------------------------------------------------------
>>It means "forward" in Norwegian. She originally belonged to Nansen. A brilliantly-designed ship for Arctic exploration, she can't be crushed by the ice because her bottom is rounded so the ice will simply push her up. You can take a tour in Oslo.

Re^2: Fram, of course!

YA
Thu Aug 17

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ToUAkEF_d4
I'll have to watch this movie again someday, maybe I'll be able to make sense ofit.
On Sat Aug 12, Max wrote
------------------------
>By odd coincidence I am reading The Mission Song and Fram just came up appropo of nothing.
>What are the odds?
>
>
>
>n Thu Aug 10, The Last of the True French Short Bastards wrote
>---------------------------------------------------------------
>>>It means "forward" in Norwegian. She originally belonged to Nansen. A brilliantly-designed ship for Arctic exploration, she can't be crushed by the ice because her bottom is rounded so the ice will simply push her up. You can take a tour in Oslo.

Re: 'What is the name of the schooner taken by Roald Amundsen to the Antarctic ? . . '

Joe McWilliams
joemac27@hotmail.com
Fri Aug 11

I was all set to guess 'Gjoa', but that was on an Arctic voyage. I once met a fellow from Gjoa Haven who told me about Amundsen spending a couple of winters there. He figured he had some of old Roald's blood in him, as well.
On Thu Aug 10, Chrístő wrote
----------------------------
>. . today’s queston.

>Visit: www.oxfordreference.com/viewbydoi/10%2E1093/acref/9780199205684%2E013%2E1036 to find the answer.

[ Previous ] [ Return to the index page ] [ Next ]