Patrick O'Brian Discussion Forum

Re^3: A war of words....

Bob Bridges
robhbridges@gmail.com

Really, Max, didn't you know? áAll imperialism is right-wing. áSo for that matter is all violence. áCome to think of it so is racism (sheesh, I guess there are a lot of things I have to answer for), love of money, anti-science (pace Neil DeGrasse Tyson), fundamentalisms of all sorts...oh, yes, and oppression of the US colonies.

Truthfully it's just a phrase I heard somewhen during the Reagan years; I liked it and kept it.

On Thu Apr 6, Max wrote
-----------------------
>I always thought of Atilla as being a left wing sort of guy.
>Maybe "kill all the men and rape their women" doesn't readily fit in a political spectrum.
>For all I know Atilla could have been head of the Hun Piece and Love Party.

>Thu Apr 6, Bob Bridges wrote
>-------------------------------
>>Wait, what? áWhy "rightwing"? áI mean, I get that right wingers are traditionally thought to want more than left wingers (and not without reason), but by the same token left wingers are traditionally thought to fear war more than right wingers. áWhy are war threats over Gibraltar not leftwing panic-delusions?

>>Are there British politicians saying they want to declare war against Spain at this early (and likely the only) stage, really? áI'm doubtful. áI'm not over there and maybe didn't hear. áBut then, politically I'm somewhere to the right of Attila the Hun, myself, so I'm probably less likely to read into right-winger rhetoric an "imperial fantasy" that isn't really there.

>>On Tue Apr 4, ChrÝst§ wrote
>>---------------------------
>>>War threats over Gibraltar are rightwing imperial fantasies...

[ Previous ] [ Next ] [ Index ]           Thu Apr 6
[ Reply ] [ Edit ] [ Delete ]           This message read 61 times
[ DIGEST ]