Patrick O'Brian Discussion Forum

The Trash Isles, Northern Pacific (reprised)

Bob Bridges
robhbridges@gmail.com

Been meaning to ask this for a while, and now Hoyden's original post is on its way out so I have to start it again:  You wrote precisely, Chrístõ, but are you sure you wrote accurately?  Is France the size of the Trash Isles' land area, or only of its land-and-sea-combined area?

Wikipedia says "At 1,904,569 square kilometres (735,358 square miles), Indonesia is the world's 14th-largest country in terms of land area and world's 7th-largest country in terms of combined sea and land area."  That's the distinction I'm looking for regarding the Trash Isles.  Hoyden's article didn't say; if you think it's the sum only of the "land area", where are you getting that information?

On Fri Sep 22, Chrístõ wrote
>--------------------------------
>The area is not a single island but an archipelago of islets. Its area is the sum total of the areas of the islets. So the LadBible has chosen a clumsy way to saying that the total area equals that of France.

On Thu Sep 21, Bob Bridges wrote
--------------------------------
>The article finishes "....there’s an area cumulatively the size of France made up entirely of waste plastic in the sea".  Sure, that's impressive, but I've come to the conclusion that any time someone has to say "essentially" or "in effect" or any of several other adverbs, it means "not really".

>So what does "cumulatively" mean in this case?  How big is it really?  Is it the size that France would be if France had an inland sea the size of Romania?  If so, I'm much less impressed.

On Tue Sep 19, Hoyden wrote
>--------------------------------
That'll cause a stir at Customs....

>http://qz.com/1080155/could-a-pile-of-trash-become-an-official-nation/

[ Previous ] [ Next ] [ Index ]           Thu Sep 28
[ Reply ] [ Edit ] [ Delete ]           This message read 80 times