Patrick O'Brian Discussion Forum

Re: How much to read on the Vendee Globe round-the-world race

CJP

I was once privileged to read a complete set of Alexandre Dumas that was translated between 1898 and 1902.  They read much, much better than a translation from the 1950's that I came across years later.  It was much like poetry, and I read the collection through thrice - a feat of endurance.  There are many fine novels in the collection beyond the well-know "Musketeers" and "Monte Cristo."  I learned much about French history and geography from the readings and am ashamed to admit that I welled up at the death of Porthos in the Musketeer series.  The "Black Tulip" also comes to mind as being among the best. It would take most of the three months to get through, to be sure, but you'd need a couple of cases of claret as digestive.

On Thu Jan 5, Bob Bridges wrote
-------------------------------
>Three months?  How many Sharpes did Cornwall write?  Let's say this race gives you about three hours a day of leisure for reading (I'm guessing a lot more), including as "leisure" sitting by the tiller keeping an eye out.  Even if you're a slow reader that's still more than a volume a week.  I'd want a lot more than one series to keep me happy for three months.

>I'd also want more variety.  No matter how much I like steak, I can get tired of it meal after meal; pretty soon I'm in the mood for chicken, or a Jersey-Mike's sub, or broccoli.  So I'd take a variety of authors: John Ringo, James H Schmitz, Dick Francis, Lee Child (the patronizing murmurs I hear in the background notwithstanding), Alistair MacLean, Albert Payson Terhune, Rudyard Kipling, Isaac Asimov, C S Lewis ...  How to pick?  No doubt y'all have your own favorites; these are just the ones that occur to me immediately.

>On Thu Jan 5, Chrístõ wrote
>---------------------------
>>‘I see that Alex Thomson, who is sailing solo around the world in the Vendée Globe race, has taken all of Bernard Cornwell’s Sharpe novels on his Kindle. What other books would readers pack for the three-month, 26,000-mile race? - Peter Shelton, Leeds’
>>www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/dec/14/vendee-globe-books-solo-voyage
>>www.vendeeglobe.org/en/skippers/60/alex-thomson
>>Chart: tracking2016.vendeeglobe.org/gv5ip0/

>>BambooBar: Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series. The nautical theme is purely coincidental; they would keep you happy whatever activity you were engaged in.

>>Chrístõ: Patrick O'Brian's fine literary style would send a bone-weary solo sailor to sleep before they’d read a single paragraph. Much better would be the modern James Bond pastiches by Ian Fleming, Kingsley Amis, Christopher Wood, John Gardner, Raymond Benson, Sebastian Faulks, Jeffery Deaver, William Boyd, Anthony Horowitz, Charlie Higson, Steve Cole, etc. Take your pick!

>>What would forumites take?

[ Previous ] [ Next ] [ Index ]           Thu Jan 5
[ Reply ] [ Edit ] [ Delete ]           This message read 174 times
[ DIGEST ]